BREAKING NEWS: Nigerian Govt takes over trial of suspected killers of Imo monarch

FG takes over prosecution of suspects who kidnapped, killed Imo monarch

Govt takes over trial of suspected killers of Imo monarch

…C0NTINUE READING HERE >>>

The Nigerian has taken over the prosecution of four suspected killers of the traditional ruler of Amanze Obowo Autonomous Community of Imo State, Basil Njoku.

recalls that Njoku was abducted while returning from the Federal Medical Centre, FMC, in Umuahia and was subsequently killed on December 17, 2022, after his paid N4 ransom.

The and arraigned Jude Iheme and Chika Madukwe in connection with the killing.

They were charged with terrorism and illegal possession of arms among other offences, but pleaded not guilty to the offense.

However, on the last adjourned , the Inspector General of Police, IGP, , through his , Simon Lough, sought the leave of ths court to amend the terrorism charges preferred against the suspected killers of the traditional ruler, adding that more suspects had been apprehended.

At the continuation of proceedings on Friday, the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Lateef Fagbemi, through his counsel, David Kaswe, informed the court of the Federal Government's decision to take over the trial of the suspects.

He said that this was pursuant to sections 174 of the 1999 Constitution and 105 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act 2015.

Kaswe said the IGP had been directed to make the case file available to the Federal Ministry of Justice for appropriate action.

“I urge my honourable lord to put on hold the arraignment and seek an adjournment to enable me to study the case file to ensure diligent prosecution of the case,” he added.

The trial judge, Justice Binta Nyako subsequently adjourned till April 15 for the re-arraignment of the defendants

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*